Here are some pointers in picking a monologue
- Make sure you really like it – you are going to be spending a lot of time with it.
- Keep to your gender.
- Keep to your age or thereabouts.
- Make sure it is dramatic and there is a clear objective (Ie. The character wants something).
- Be very wary of speeches that are descriptive and fall into the story-telling category (and are undramatic)
- It should be clear from the speech what the context is, so avoid anything that is confusing to follow.
- Choose something with an accent ONLY if you’re totally confident.
- In the case of school/college auditions – make sure you have chosen classical and contemporary monologues as defined by the school for which you are auditioning – each school defines those terms slightly differently.